How to Paint Your Own Planter

Closeup of planter

Hey guys welcome to the first post of my series "At Home With Sugarcoatedbears". Today I thought I would paint my own planter that I have to hold a basil plant that I got recently. The planter before was just an average planter, just brown in color. But then I had the idea of painting the planter. So here is how I painted my planter, and how you can paint your own planter pretty easily. 

What you need

So for this DIY you're going to need a planter, a cup that you don't mind getting a little grungy(but you can also use anything that holds water pretty much), one piece of palette paper, a big paintbrush, a small paintbrush, and the paint that you want to use. 

Mug

So first go to fill up the water cup that way you can clean your brushes, and such. 

Palette paper

Next lay get a piece of palette paper, and place the paints that you're working with on there. Then after that, start to paint your planter. 

1st coat of planter

This was how my little basil plant looked after one coat of paint. But for this DIY project you will need to do three coats of paint if you're aiming for the look of my planter. It just depends on what kind of look you want. 

3rd coat of planter

So this is how my planter looked after three coats. The coverage is pretty good, and you can't see the old brown color on the outside of it. So now wait for that to dry, and move onto the bottom piece of the planter if your planter has that kind of thing. 

Bottom piece

For the bottom piece I went in for the same white that I used earlier. So I just paint that on, and I only did two layers on this piece because It's not as noticeable, but you can do three to be safe. Then wait for everything to dry so then you can add the extra details if you're doing that. 

Adding small details

Now I'm painting on these black little rectangular polka dots. I painted this near the top of the planter because that was the design I was going for. 

Final product

Then this was the final product. I think it turned out really cute, and kind of boho. I really like it, and it's affordable to make.  

Thanks for tuning into the new series, I can't wait for all the exciting things coming up! I'll see you guys on Friday with another post. 
My social media
Bloglovin

Instagram

Pinterest










15 comments:

  1. This is such a fun and easy DIY project. I love the finished look!
    xo
    Siffat
    http://icingandglitter.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading the post! Super cute!
    Check the new post on the blog: http://remisabbah.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Such a creative way to make a planter look cute!

    xx, mel
    http://melinspired.com/amazon-fashion-10-pieces/

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cute plant pot - thanks for all the helpful instructions on making one at home!

    Heather xx
    https://www.hefafa.me.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great.
    http://www.easys-tyle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually painted a brown pot bright white to go with a decor change in my living room- such an easy DIY!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is really cool and creative, i will try it :)
    thanks for sharing,
    Sonia
    www.soniaaicha.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great and creative thing babe...xx,Neha

    http://www.theinstylejournal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute lil DIY project! Love the way it turned out

    Enclothed Cognition

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the idea and this is such a cute and easy DIY !
    xo | Cindy Elena
    www.boringclothes.com

    ReplyDelete