My Experience being a Competitive Runner


Being a competitive runner is hard. You go through hardships, victories, scary moments, and most of all you develop a better relationship with yourself and other people. Being a competitive runner really makes you more mentally and physically strong. It can change your life in one blink. Last Year I was an artistic kind of person, I would have never thought to join a sports team because I thought it was for all the preppy rich kids. I was really stereotyping sports, and it turns out that I have met some amazing people through cross country and track. I have grown so much over the past year, and I just keep on growing. Before I joined cross country and track my junior year of high school my mom was always trying to convince me to join cross country. She was so on me to join cross country for such a long time because it really changed her life for the better, and she still runs to this day. Competitive running really can make a difference in anyone's life no matter who you are or what your background is. All you do is go out there and run and just see what you can do.


I established more friends
Once I joined the team I didn't know anyone and I was the awkward kid trying to find their way into the group. It took a couple weeks to establish some cross country friends but when I did establish those friendships it was great. Now me and my track and cross country friends are like squad, and we have gotten to know each other very well. It just takes time to warm up to people and for other people to warm up to you. Running or getting involved in a group in general can really open you up to more friendships, and more connections. Friends have been my favorite part of joining the track and cross country team because we can all relate to each other, and it's always so much more fun to run competitively when you have people by your side.


I have become more mentally and physically strong
You constantly deal with pain if you're a runner. Whether it be a bad ankle, or you're racing in a 5k and you're absolutely dying because it's a hilly course. Running is painful, and I find the best runners are mentally strong. Being mentally strong is the concept that you can do anything, and yes it may be painful but you can get through it. Me being 4th best on the varsity cross country team with a PR of 00:21:22.417 on a 5k I know that it takes mental strength. Really it does not matter who you are, you can be better if you want to be better. If you want success that bad you can obtain it, there is nothing stopping you but yourself. If you push yourself mentally, you will also see physical results. While being a competitive runner, the more time you keep shaving off from your personal record the more you will see physical results. You see physical results from all that training. Before I started running I had cellulite on my legs, and as soon as i started getting into shape I have gotten more toned, and now I have no cellulite on my legs. Running really does build you mentally and physically.


It boosted my confidence and my health
Running and working out in general is very good for your health. You can see more about the benefits of running here. If you didn't know already you need at least thirty minutes of exercise a day. A lot of people take exercise for granted, but it really it makes such a difference. I have always been active but it was not until this year that I got serious about training and becoming fit. Working out makes you feel confident because you know that you're doing this for yourself, and you're taking care of your body. Knowing that boosts your mental state, and self esteem. When I take off days I feel like crap, and I hate it, that's why I don't take many off days. It's like once you get into the routine of working out, you feel like you absolutely need it to function everyday. But it's a good thing to get into the routine of exercise because it's good for your mind, and your body. I have always been confident but there is no doubt that this year I have been the most confident about myself.


I deepened my knowledge about running
Before I started competitive running I didn't know much about running. I thought of it as just another form of exercise, but really there is no much more to it than that. If you want to be a good runner you need to know certain techniques to use in races, you need to know what pace you are, and how to maintain that pace, and most of all you have to know that it's hard to run competitively.


I became apart of the cross country team
Coming into cross country I had no idea about all the pain that goes into running. I was new to it, and when I went to the first cross country meeting I didn't know anyone, and I was standing up against the whiteboard all by myself not really talking to anyone because everyone else in the room knew each other and no one knew me. At the time no one knew my potential, not even me. I went out there, and I started running with the team, I made friends, and I soon found out my potential. I was 4th place on Varsity from the start, and I held that position throughout the whole season. I had almost no experience with running but then I somehow was 4th best on varsity. It was incredible, and everyone always says to me, "you just came out of nowhere".  My coach was the most impressed with me, and he is still impressed with me to this day. I don't want to over toot my horn but do you really want to know how I worked my way up so fast? I took almost no off days, ran lots of miles, I always put my 100% effort into the workouts, and I trained so hard that I would cry or beat myself up over a workout. I was the most hardest working, competitive, and dedicated person on my team, and that's why I just keep getting better and better. When I was at the cross country banquet I received two plaques, one for breaking expectations, and another one for most PR's of the season. I also received my varsity letter. And I'm here to let you know that you can do it too.


I understood more about success
If you want success that badly you can achieve it. You must be willing to give it all you got to make it happen through. You have to put in the work. If you want to be a good runner you can be a good runner, really the only thing that is stopping you is your mind. My coach always tells our team, "you can do anything for five minutes", or "you can do anything for two miles". While physical aspects affect your running, it does not affect it as close to as much as your mental strength. Running has really made me realize that if you want to see results you better put in the work, and it taught me that if you want success you can achieve it.


I joined the track team
Coming from cross country I joined the track team to stay in shape, and hang out with my friends. It is very different from cross country because it's a smaller team, and the races are a lot shorter. I am a distance runner so I run the 4 by 8 relay, the 1 mile, and the two mile. Also for the 4 by 8 relay all we have to do is shave off two seconds from our overall time and then we qualify for state. We are doing it regardless today as you're reading this post, and I'm actually re scheduling my doctors appointment because I'm that determined that we will qualify today. So I will do my yearly checkup at a later time because we have to qualify for state. I'm going to be real I'm that crazy runner that takes it so seriously, and I'm a total overachiever when it comes to running. But I love it! So I will let you guys know whether we qualify. I really hope we do because then we would be the first people to qualify for the 4 by 8 relay in school history. But anyways I'm loving track, and it is very fun.

Now I want to show you guy's my times so you know how I place, and what my stats are overall.
I hope you guys liked all the photos! They are a roundup of some photos from cross country and track. I also hope I inspired some of you guys to start competitive running or to step out of your comfort zone a little bit. That's all for today's post and I'll see you guys on Tuesday with another post. 









68 comments:

  1. I actually don't enjoy running but when you join aome sport team it's going to be probably the best decision of your life!
    https://miss-uncover.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Courtney, thanks for sharing your personal experience, it was really inspiring!! :)
    kisses
    Agnese & Elisa
    http://desiresinstyle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful that you have found something that is shaping you in the best way possible! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear your fun running experience! Keep it up, Courtney!


    xx Sheryl | www.SeguraAndCo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes this sounds hard but rewarding. And yup a good workout too. When I lived in Seattle I had roommates that were really in to running

    Allie of ALLIENYC
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! You are such an inspiration!

    xx

    Linda from Beauty And Tips

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Congratulations! I was in cross country in high school but I find I don't have the motivation to run anymore - more of a team sport person. I can definitely understand how much endurance it takes though and a ton of dedication! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post !

    http://www.fruityandpassion.com/2017/12/surround-yourself-with-people-who-make.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your passion! Love that you have found some amazing friends through running.

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Running is such an amazing way to stay active! I wish I was better at it tbh haha

    Enclothed Cognition

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post
    http://thepinkpineappleblog.blogspot.com/2017/12/milan-fashion-week-day-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. cool pictures!!! I like it all
    Please visit my Blog!

    http://www.alessabernal.com/

    Alessa Bernal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never been in a team, but I enjoy running so much.
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYfkJb4PIkv3BiX-mYcvmWg
    BLOG:http://www.easys-tyle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! Thanks for sharing! You're an inspiration!

    https://asweetwoorld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your dermination! I'm sure you will succed in competitive running if you keep working as hard as you do now!

    Love,

    Olga from Myme

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing your experience!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Running is life!!

    Federica
    www.federicadinardo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is awesome!

    Gemma
    www.fadedwindmills.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing your experience! I have a hard time running, I get tired quickly and I can't commit to do it often. I wish I could do it!

    http://www.memoriesofthepacific.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thats so cool you run, I used to do track and x country in high school
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such an inspirational post! I wish I could get more into running, but I have a hard time making the commitment. Beautiful post!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ive participated in a few runs, but I used to get so nervous that I stopped doing, I didn´t enjoy it, so I guess it wasn't for me!

    https://justohana.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good luck with the relay race! I hope you and your team achieve it! :)

    I'm not a runner - I'm terrible at it, and even if I wasn't I have an old knee injury that stops me getting out. but I agree exercise is so important, even if it's just walking the dog! :)

    Hope you're having a great weekend! I'm excited it's nearly Christmas! With most of the wrapping done and just waiting for the last gifts to arrive in the mail, we are trying to have a relaxing weekend as next week will be so busy.

    Away From The Blue Blog

    ReplyDelete
  24. I never had this experience but sounds like an amazing experience!
    www.kmeetsstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. So inspiring babe!! It's all character building babe!! I just adore you!!

    xxx

    Ashley

    www.missgunner.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's awesome, you go girl!

    http://www.lydstaple.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  27. great post! I used to be huge into running and loved running along lake michigan when I lived in Chicago. It's such a great way to stay in shape =o)

    https://dreamofadventures.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is so cool that you an do this! I wish I could run competitively!!

    xoxo
    Colleen
    I'd love if you'd check out my newest blog post: http://www.justthattallgirl.com/2017/12/holiday-time-in-cali.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. I run for fun, but can only imagine how draining it must be competitively running! Happy to hear you've enjoyed the journey - and even made some friends along the way! :)

    aglassofice.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  30. I do run now and then. Its a stress reliever for me and it makes me sleep better. I definitely want to run a charity some day.

    https://www.missymayification.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  31. It seems like so much fun!! I'd love to do it!

    http://www.mursway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOVE running and everything that it gives me both physically and mentally! So glad that you jumped outside of your comfort zone and decided to join the team! Having those memories and establishing those friendships is NEVER something you'll regret. Nice job girl!

    Susie | http://milehighdreamers.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I give props to runners! It seems like it takes a lot of work. I am so out of shape that I can't run very far. I ran 1/4th of a mile before and then threw up. It was awful! It wasn't even like just nausea, it was in my head and whole body too. I had never felt like that before. I know you have to work your body up to it though so it can get used to. I've just never enjoyed running when I tried it, personally. I've always heard runners get a sort of mental high from it, but it's always been the opposite for me. I've never gotten enjoyment from it. lol

    http://surrealistique.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow! You almost made me want to try running...ALMOST haha! But i'm glad that you met new friends and gained confidence through the sport. Good luck also on your future competitions!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love running too and joining such competitions.
    This stresses me out,.

    Much Love,
    Jane | The Bandwagon Chic

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Courtney,

    Thank you for sharing your experience! maybe I will try to run again.
    XO
    Miri
    https://currentlywearing.com/2017/12/17/swiss-charitable-organizations/

    ReplyDelete
  37. You look amazing! What a fun post!!
    xx
    Mónica Sors
    MES VOYAGES À PARIS
    NEW POST: CHRISMTAS LOOKBOOK - 3 OUTFITS READY TO COPY

    ReplyDelete
  38. It looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

    Tam
    www.classictam.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Awww! You look so cute in all the pics sweetie <3
    Nice post! Have a great week ahead!
    Beauty and Fashion Freaks

    ReplyDelete
  40. Amazing and inspiring! As much as I love to work out, and even with the sports I played in high school I am just not a great runner. I'm always in awe of those who excel at it <3

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love running! I still run for fun in the mornings.
    Keep up the amazing work and good luck in your competitions!

    www.fashionradi.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow, major props to you babe for running competitively! I know everything you said is so true but I still can't find it in myself to run a race. I purely run to get exercise and hate it the whole time I am doing it. Although I have to admit it is quite addicting. Maybe I can add it to my New Year's Resolutions to run at least one small race to get me started next year! xoxo, Christine
    http://dailykongfidence.com/

    ReplyDelete
  43. Running isn't for me, but I have so much respect for those who do it and stick to it! It's brilliant that you are getting so much out of it. x

    www.katelouiseblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hey, I have been a runner too a long time ago. Isn't it amazing how a competitive activity can change your lifestyle? Have a great week.

    Love, Esther
    https://lifestyle-tale.com/my-favorite-styles-2017/

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hello Courtney, wow such a wonderful experience and 5k in 21 mins that is impressive. Loved reading your experience and hope next year will be even better for you. Thanks for sharing :)
    https://mihabalan.com/2017/12/18/the-coat-for-you-this-winter/

    ReplyDelete
  46. I started running as a 7th grader and have had a great experience with running! so glad you are feeling the same

    marissa

    http://www.onecrafdiygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  47. I wish I could run! My knees are so bad..so walking is all I can really do. You are inspiring!

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  48. You go girl! Running long distance is tough! Keep it up! I love that you are enjoying it so much!

    <3 Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  49. Way to go, Courtney! Loved reading about your running experience.
    http://youngcosmopolite.com

    ReplyDelete
  50. I am a proud Harriettes... and it is not that hard dear... Its so much funn...
    Happy holidays… peace on earth!
    http://sepatuholig.blogspot.com/
    IG @grace_njio

    ReplyDelete
  51. That is so cool! Running has always been a weakness of mine so I commend you for being able to do it so well!

    www.prettyinleather.net

    ReplyDelete
  52. Running seems to be the one form of exercise that I can't fall in love with but I love many other sports. I was doing competitive swimming, tennis, volley balls just to name a few for years!

    Shireen⎜Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  53. I love how you found yourself through running! It's so wonderful that you could find such a great group of friends and a hobby you enjoy all before you graduate high school - love this!

    xx www.qustomquinns.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  54. Sounds like a crazy life -- glad you found yourself through running though! Must have been an incredible journey!

    xo,

    H

    http://firsttimethings.com/

    ReplyDelete
  55. You look SO ADORABLE! Love all these photos!
    Have a wonderful week!
    Much love, Len
    www.lenparent.com
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  56. It's amazing what joining a team can do- I played volleyball all throughout high school and grew so much from the experience!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  57. Congrats Courtney!! I am so proud of what you accomplished!

    Jennifer
    Effortlessly Sophisticated

    ReplyDelete
  58. That is awesome that you run competively! Your PRs are goalsssss!

    Tina
    www.justatinabit.com

    ReplyDelete
  59. Great post.Good wishes to you this year
    https://thepinkpineappleblog.blogspot.com/2018/01/my-favorites-cozy-sweaters-for-this.html

    ReplyDelete