Things I've learned from being a minimalist

I've been a minimalist for five months now and I've learned a lot from minimalism and I'm still learning. I thought I would share what I learned from being a minimalist. 

1)Less is more-If you get rid of the excess that is not adding value or joy to your life you will live a more meaningful life. By owning less I am happier. I have more freedom. I live in the moment. I'm contributing beyond myself. I'm focusing on my health. I'm setting an example. I'm focusing on my passions. My space is cleaner. I'm not attached to my stuff. I can find things easier. I'm getting more out of life by living with less.

2)Going shopping is a waste of time-Getting new items is nice but most of the time you don't need it and you're wasting your money. If you have clothing already why do you need more? because it's just too cute? No if you have clothing already that you enjoy don't go get more. I'm not being sexist or anything but woman are usually the ones who love spending their money on stuff they don't need. I really wish more woman can wake up and be like "maybe I don't need that necklace" "I already have ten necklaces". I gotta say ten necklaces is even a bit too much.(this tip is for compulsive consumers) But aye if you need something for real go get it. 

3)You don't have to spend you're money once you get some-Back when I used to be a little kid I always just spent all my money as soon as I got some. I felt as if I had to spend my money because I was greedy for toys as a little girl. But finding out about minimalism made me realize that I don't have to spend my money as soon as I get it. I can invest in something with my money. 

4)Clean spaces look better than a pack rat nest-When your room is clean you feel great right? Clean your room. Your space will look more visually appealing because you got rid of the crap you don't need. You know that barney snow globe that's just collecting dust, just donate it if it does not bring you joy. But aye if that barney snow globe is giving you lots of joy keep that barney snow globe dude

5)You're more focused on your passions-Minimalism has made me focus on my passions more. I update my photography page a lot, I love writing on my blog, I paint, I enjoy decorating my room, I explore new places, I'm doing the things I love to do. Just one year ago I used to just sit inside all day and browse useless websites. I'm glad I'm actually getting off my ass and doing something. I read theminimalists.com and they really inspired me. Now here I am living it and being totally happy. I'm the happiest I've ever been honestly

6)Technology isn't everything-Too many people now in days don't go out and experience real life because they are too busy online. I think life is too short to just stare into a screen all the time. I've talked to some kids in my earth science class who say that they spend their whole weekend on their phone, I think that is really unhealthy because you need to go out and breathe some fresh air.

7)Contributing beyond yourself makes you feel good-When I was decluttering my life I gave a lot of my stuff away to my friends and I donated it too. It felt amazing to know that I was helping someone out there who needed the help or that I would give joy to another person. I think people can be selfish at times and giving to another person will make you less selfish. Everyone benefits from giving just remember that. 

8)Living in the moment is better than worrying about the future-Living in the moment is great because you can think about what you have to do right now. Right now I'm writing this post right. It is great to plan for the future but don't worry about what the future holds for you. If you think your future will be great then it probably will be. But if you want a great future you have to take action right now. Don't wait til it's new years to say "new year new me" because we all know you will be the same person as last year okay. 

9)Your stress will decrease a bit-Stress is something that lots of people have right? Minimalism helps out with that. When you get rid of the stuff that you don't need or the stuff that you don't get joy from or the stuff you don't use, you will be less stressed. Less visual and mental clutter means less stress. 

10)You can find and clean things easier-The great thing about being a minimalist is you know where everything is and your space is so easy to clean. It literally takes five minutes to clean my room. I used to struggle with not knowing where something is because there was piles of clothing and books and who even knows what on the floor. Now my room is mostly always clean and everything has a place. 

11)You don't get upset by small things anymore or hit the panic button-I used to get upset by small things and I would sometimes hit the panic button for some situations that were not a big deal.I'm the kind of person who fixes the problem as soon as it occurs instead of complaining about it. For example: Snookerdoodle got out a week ago or so and me and my dad went to chase her. It's funny watching her run because she can literally run forty miles an hour. We got her back with a treat, she always comes back so it's not like I'm going to worry about nothing. Take action people

12)You're more productive-I've noticed a change in my productivity when I became a minimalist. I used to just sit around all day online but now I get bored of being in the house and I get bored from being online. On weekends I go out two to three times a day. I'll take care of small tasks immediately and if I have to do work for school I'll do it. 

13)You care more about your health-I don't know what it is about minimalism but it makes you care more about your health. I make sure I get some exercise in everyday, I get some of my exercise in by going on bike rides, walking home from school, and doing workout videos. I try to plan my workout schedule but it never works out.






No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!