Spring cleaning: Your closet

It's getting to be spring time, which means it's time for some spring cleaning. I mean it doesn't even have to be spring to do some cleaning. So in this post I'm going to be giving you tips and tricks on how to tackle your closet. The closet is probably the most unorganized place in the whole house. It's where we put all of our stuff. A lot of us just cram everything we own into a 5 foot space. And then when you open it, you know it's a disaster, but you're too lazy to clean it. According to closetandstorageconcepts.com, "We wear 20% of the clothes we own 80% of the time. The rest just hang in our closets”. You guys already should know what I’m about to say, but for reals why do you still have clothing in your closet that you don’t even wear?!

Step one- if you don’t wear it, donate it, because someone else could get use out of it.

Another way to remove the excess and make your closet simpler is to only have your closet be for clothes, because that should be the only purpose of a closet. I mean who wants to be going through a closet with a bunch of jungle jam in there, just have your clothing and other things you wear, like hats, shoes, etc. This eliminates stress and the feeling of not knowing what’s in your closet. It also creates a sense of organization because you know where all of your clothing is, that way you don’t have to go looking for it.

Step 2-Eliminate jungle jam from your closet and only have your closet be for clothing.

Don’t fall into the storage industry trap, bins and lockers don’t fix the problem. The only way you will achieve true organization is to let go of all the excess(the stuff that you don’t use or get joy from). Once you let go of the excess you will be more stress free. You won’t have to worry about misplacing stuff or where something is, because when you have less stuff, there is less to worry about, and you will know exactly where all your stuff is.

Step 3-Understand that bins, and lockers don’t fix the problem, and the only way to fix the problem is to let go of the excess.

Once you let go of the excess and get it down to the stuff that you use and brings you joy, color coat your clothing so that it will be even easier to pick what you are wearing. This eliminates the sense of not knowing what’s in your closet even more. I do this to my closet and I love it because it looks really pretty and organized. It literally only takes me four seconds to pick out clothes because of this feature.

Step 4-Color coat your closet

To make things easier you can even try to fit your dresser or a bookshelf in your closet that way all your clothing and accessories are right in one place. I can only fit my bookshelf in my closet and I use it to store all my shoes and my purses. That way you can just grab and go. This may not be realistic for some people’s closets, but if you can fit these things in your closet, you minus well put it in there.

Step 5-If you can fit your bookshelf or dresser in your closet then put it in to make everything all in one place.

If you have extra space you can decorate your closet with art or other cool things to make it more visually appealing. I love home decor so you will always see me spicing up my closet if I have extra room. It adds personality and makes your closet more fun to walk into. Another thing that you could do would be to make all of your hangers the same color, it creates a nice vibe, and it’s good for people that have ocd about how things look. I have all my hangers the same color because to me, it creates a more organized, fresh vibe.

Step 6-Add finishing touches

I hope you guys liked my tips and tricks on closet organization. I'm thinking of making a whole spring cleaning series on here but I'm not sure. I'm always thinking of new ideas. We will see, but I’ll be back next week with a new post on my march favorites.

1 comment:

  1. This is a brilliant post! :) And love how tidy your closet looks! xxx

    ReplyDelete